Thursday 26 September 2013

Packed Lunch Problems, Solved with Soup

I am currently working full time, and whilst this is great it does mean I face the daily temptation of grabbing some sort of yummy meal deal or some cheeky fast food for lunch, which, while delicious, equates to money which could be spent on something slightly longer lasting (especially as I eat pretty quickly!).

I made the decision last week that I needed to stop with chicken and ranch baguettes and find a healthier option, and as the cold weather set in I struck upon my answer - soup! Cheap, easy to make and something I can prep waaay in advance and just grab on the way out and it's so good that I thought I'd share with you the recipe for what I am having for lunch today:

Cheap Recipe for Healthy Soup
Warming Carrot + Split Pea

225g yellow split-peas
1 onion
1 sweet potato
3 carrots
any form of vegetable stock / a veggie stock cube.

Soak the peas for a while (overnight/whilst you are at work) in cold water.
Drain them, rinse them, and then put them in a saucepan with 1.5 litres of cold water (or stock) and the stock cube.
Simmer for 25 minutes.
Add in the other veg and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
Blend everything until smooth.
Then heat whenever you fancy! (Two and a half minutes in the microwave usually does it for me).

        - Enjoy!

PS: Do you take pack lunch to work? Any tips for how to make it more interesting?


      

No comments:

Post a Comment